Sunday 8 September 2024

9 Musings about Stringing Racquets

1) It is equally time consuming to turn grommets to the uncut side or replace with new grommets before stringing. This is important to ensure longevity of the strings by ensuring the new string sits cushioned on uncut side of the grommets.

2) I find that Yonex brand has better quality grommets generally. Whenever I find unwanted broken racquets, I normally will reuse the grommets or keep them as spares.

3) The waxing on your string bed will also give longevity to your strings.

4) Contrary to some people say Tai Tsu Ying skipped string in her racquet is not just for aesthetics. There is a reason why her racquet has skipped string on the 10th hole. It is to balance both ends of the racquet with equal tension by pulling two more horizontal weave at the bottom of the racquet and finish with a knot away from the left end. This way, her racquet stays in shape. I have adopted TTY stringing pattern for Kiera’s racquets because I prefer to do 2 knots instead of 4 knots. The lesser the knots, the lesser the slacks.

5) For Kiera’s racquets 25 Lbs, I normally start vertical from the middle 3 or 4 weaves to the left and to the right +1 Lbs. When it comes to horizontal weave, after the shared grommets from the bottom, I will add +1 Lbs all the way to the top. I find this is her preferred tension combo.

6) From my experience, the best way to choose a racquet is not by studying and matching the specifications for a player. Let the player try playing with various racquets models. Unfortunately, it is not always practical to find racquets this way.

7) For me the most expensive element in badminton game is not shuttle cost. If shuttle can be shared then its not so bad. Replacing strings is the costliest in badminton game.

8) Interestingly, Victor’s new racquet range which comes with PP handle actually makes the racquet more flexible (despite with stiffer shaft) compared to wooded handle.

9) I repair shuttles by replacing broken feathers. Just need a blade, sharp nose plier and rubber glue will get it done. I believe quality shuttles = quality trainings.

No comments:

Post a Comment